History of Zion UMC
Many of our older records are in a High German dialect that we are working to translate. Wir entschuldigen uns für die Unannehmlichkeiten/We apologize for the inconvenience.
Our congregation was organized in 1845 as a German Evangelical Church in the area known as Pigeon Woods, just NE of Hampshire.
In 1885 a new building was built on the current site which later became Jefferson St.
In 1969 the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) and Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC) denominations merged to form the United Methodist Church (UMC). At that time, Zion became part of the Methodist family.
This year, 2021, Zion celebrates 176 years of ministry in Hampshire!
To learn a bit more in depth history, click to download and view the PowerPoint below that was presented to our community on the 170th anniversary!
For detail, see the attached files